Couple things.

Highwind
New

Couple things.

Post by Highwind » Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:57 am

1. Hey, Cid here, i'd like my in-game name and forum modified to Cid if possible.

2. Map creation, if you can toss together a type of map creator, that u can save and import maps, you can open map dev to the public, and have them submit maps to you for approval, involving the community in this manner will not only free up time for you by simply needing to see if a map is acceptable, but will remove the requirement of you investing massive amounts of time to do so yourself. meaning more time for base codeing.

3. What kind of wage would you be required to draw to code and maintain this full time? setting up a patron or something may be in your interests. i know alot of the old player base would be willing to subscribe for continued updates and a constant admin around.

i attempted to purchase the source codes for rev, but was turned down both times, he claimed he was going to continue working on the game, but that was before he didnt re-new the domain, and any other emails have been left un-responded to :(

Maven
Site Admin

Re: Couple things.

Post by Maven » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:23 pm

Hi Cid,

1. Just tried to change your forum name but it doesn't allow usernames with 3 characters sorry. In the next update I'll lower min username requirements to 3 think it's currently 4 then you can create it yourself.

2. That something I've been thinking about, I already have a crude map editor built but it no longer works due to changing things in the database. Would need to make it save to xml or even a txt file but then it wouldn't be compatible with the server. I will have something in the near future just now I'm focusing on adding all the basic systems to the game and getting things stable. But I do welcome any ideas/suggestions :)

3. I don't think it's feasible as there's not many people who would pay to play a text game and I would want to keep it free as well. Patron is cool but again I doubt it would make very much. I'm making this just for the fun of it really. Not expecting to make anything from it.

Not sure what's happening with rev, I think the database might've gotten corrupt but I'm sure there would have been a backup. I think even if it does come back it would need a reset, there were too many people botting and multing as there were no admin. Can't really blame people though you needed to multi in order to get anything done.
:twisted:

Highwind
New

Post by Highwind » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:52 am

I think you largely underestimate the market for games of this type.
avabur.com for example has an active daily player base of over 700 people. and in all honesty, is really quite dull. and thats just one of many.
many others offer in-game bonus's of in-game currancys that can be exchanged between players and such
(no not like the ripoffs of mobile app game purchases)

theirs a massive thirst for true games that interact with the players, give the players a free open space to chat and discuss, while at the same time enjoying the game. games much like rev, and the re-creation that your currently working on.

i'd suggest setting up some type of patron if coding full-time is something acceptable to you.
i know i would be interested. but i wont force you, just a thought.

it would appear i'm unable to login, or even create a new char, no error message or anything, just hangs there doing nothing.

Palindrome
New

Post by Palindrome » Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:19 am

Hey there,

Old time Rev player here (Chewbacca), and I just wanted to chime in and say I would absolutely give money via patreon or whatever service for a game like this. I crave the old Rev days frequently and definitely mourned the loss of the server/website. If any of the grind-hungry Rev players are anything like me, I'm sure they'd do the same.

P.S. Please let us the community know if there's anything we can do to help get this project on its feet! Seriously, my heart went pitter-patter when I found this page on the Rev reddit thread o_o. Will definitely be downloading when I get home from work.

Palindrome
New

Post by Palindrome » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:54 am

Follow up: having the same problem as Cid. Client seems to not react at all when I try to make an account/log in!

Maven
Site Admin

Post by Maven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:14 am

Hey just a quick reply for now. I've just started work, so will reply to the rest later but about the account I think it has to do with the account name and password needing to be a certain length. Think account name needs to be at least 5 (letters only) and password need to be at least 6. Or could be the server has crashed o.0. I'll check it out when I get home.

*edit checked the server log and it had crashed by a known bug that's since been fixed on the updated version. Have restarted it for now.

Maven
Site Admin

Post by Maven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:00 pm

Highwind wrote:I think you largely underestimate the market for games of this type.
avabur.com for example has an active daily player base of over 700 people. and in all honesty, is really quite dull. and thats just one of many.
many others offer in-game bonus's of in-game currancys that can be exchanged between players and such
(no not like the ripoffs of mobile app game purchases)
I know there are a few telnet muds that have a decent sized player bases. Haven't heard of avabur before though, they must be doing something right if they have 700 people playing. Pretty impressive for a text game!

Highwind wrote: theirs a massive thirst for true games that interact with the players, give the players a free open space to chat and discuss, while at the same time enjoying the game. games much like rev, and the re-creation that your currently working on.
That why I setup the forum to give people a place to share their ideas and to get feedback. I'm open to suggestions, nothing is really set in stone at the minute. My main focus right now is setting up the basic foundations for the game, which can then be expanded upon or changed later.

My goal isn't to make an exact clone of rev. There will be similarities though as I liked the way rev done a lot of things. I have my own ideas for the way some things should work. Sylz made a great comment the other day that I should post them up on the forum to get the ball rolling and to get feedback, bounce ideas around etc. Just haven't got around to it yet! But I will. :mrgreen:
Highwind wrote: i'd suggest setting up some type of patron if coding full-time is something acceptable to you.
i know i would be interested. but i wont force you, just a thought.
Right now I wouldn't feel comfortable taking peoples money. Programming is purely a hobby for me, it's been pretty cool seeing people logging on and messing around on something I've made, but I don't expect to make any money from it. Patreon could be useful in the future, if I needed help covering costs to run the game or maybe paying someone to create game art or whatever. Will definitely keep it in mind.
Highwind wrote: it would appear i'm unable to login, or even create a new char, no error message or anything, just hangs there doing nothing.
Yeah the server crashed. Whoops!

Maven
Site Admin

Post by Maven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:58 pm

Palindrome wrote:Hey there,

Old time Rev player here (Chewbacca), and I just wanted to chime in and say I would absolutely give money via patreon or whatever service for a game like this. I crave the old Rev days frequently and definitely mourned the loss of the server/website. If any of the grind-hungry Rev players are anything like me, I'm sure they'd do the same.
Hey Palindrome. Thanks for checking out the "game". There have been a few people from rev logging on the last few days! Yeah it was fun back in the day and had a great community. Started to feel a bit abandoned in the later years though, and just disappeared about a year ago. Who knows if it'll be back. Maybe next October! :D.
Palindrome wrote: P.S. Please let us the community know if there's anything we can do to help get this project on its feet! Seriously, my heart went pitter-patter when I found this page on the Rev reddit thread o_o. Will definitely be downloading when I get home from work.
We actually have a community starting to form now woah! :shock: Only a few people but it's still cool 8-). I seen the reddit post, no one really knew about this place until Sivence posted. I don't think he/she has been on though, will need to thank them for spreading the word :). And Sylz too, he's been telling a few people.

RIght now I'm still getting everything up and running, so there ain't a whole lot to do. If you want to login and test out what is there then that's appreciated, a few people have managed to find bugs with things. Like the one experienced earlier that crashed the server :lol: already knew about that one though. It's fixed on the latest version, haven't updated the server yet as there's a few things I want to finish off first, but hopefully soon!

Any input is great, and if you have any feedback, an idea or suggestions just post them on the forum. They all hopefully help in making a fun game.

Further ahead when things are in place and stable I will be looking for people to help create content for the world. Like the back story, and helping to design areas, balancing things etc. As I'm not very creative when i comes to stuff like that, so I'd rather focus more on the programming and implementing cool features. Cid made a good point about making a map editor to allow people to submit areas.

Anubis
Copper

Post by Anubis » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:29 pm

Hi Guys. I'm Anubis, Mike. I worked on Rev with Phil and know a lot about how the game actually functioned in the code. My time is limited, as is Phil's obv, but I'm open to answering questions and helping out where I can.

Maven
Site Admin

Post by Maven » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:58 pm

Hey Mike, welcome! Any help is appreciated :). Out of curiosity, do you know what's going on with Rev?